Use the Hays ADDRESSING Model Template to assess your cultural identity and analyze the implications your cultural identifications may have on your professional relationships.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
In our diverse society, multicultural competency is key for any professional in the field of psychology. It is vital to recognize that cultural identity is multifaceted and to analyze how your own cultural identifications and biases may impact your professional relationships.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Evaluate multicultural influences on ethics for psychologists.
- Cultural Identifications: Analyze own cultural identifications and cultural groups that might be easy or difficult with which to work in a professional setting.
- Relationships: Analyze how cultural implications may have an impact on professional relationships.
- Competency 4: Analyze multicultural issues in psychology and the importance of multicultural competency in the profession.
- Privilege: Evaluate areas of privilege and under-privilege.
- Biases: Analyze bias that may impact one’s work in the field of psychology.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the psychological professions.
- Communication: Write clearly, with correct spelling, grammar, syntax, and good organization, following APA gui
- Download the Hays ADDRESSING Model Template, linked in Required Resources. You will complete this template to conduct a cultural self-assessment that describes your identity in all elements of the Hays ADDRESSING model.
- Note: Use the template provided for all work on this assessment. Do not submit a paper. Papers will not be graded.
- For more information about the Hays ADDRESSING model, you may review Hays’s chapter, “Looking Into the Clinician’s Mirror: Cultural Self-Assessment,” linked in the Suggested Resources.
- Complete the table on the template and review your entries.
- Respond to the three questions posed in the space below the table in the template. There are no “right” or “wrong” responses for this assessment. You will be assessed on your insight and ability to recognize the implications of your privilege and biases when you work with others.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Format: Use the Hays ADDRESSING Model Template provided in the Required Resources. Use current APA style and formatting guidelines as applicable to this assessment.
- Font: Arial, 12 point.delines.