A Colleague’s Dilemma
For this discussion, review the case vignette in the presentation, A Colleague’s Dilemma, in this unit’s study.
Discuss your reaction to Ricardo’s approach to counseling and the decisions he has made to provide services to lower-income adolescents and families.
- Identify the key ethical issues in this case, with reference to the ACA or ASCA ethical code.
- Include the recommendations you might make to Ricardo in terms of the approach he is taking in his counseling practice, if you were one of his colleagues.
Support your ideas with references to your Ethical, Legal, and Professional Issues in Counseling text and at least one additional article from a current, peer-reviewed journal.
Follow current APA style and formatting guidelines in your post.
Respond to the initial discussion posts of two other learners. What reactions do you have to the ideas the learner has presented? Include examples from your own experience to support your perspective, and raise questions to continue the dialogue.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Learn about how ethical codes impact the counseling relationship.
- Identify ethical standards that guide counselors to prevent having their personal values impact their ability to resolve dilemmas.
- Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements.
- Develop communication appropriate for professional counseling settings.
- Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
- 2014 ACA Code of Ethics.
- ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors [PDF].
- How Do I Find Peer-Reviewed Articles?.
- APA Style and Format.
- A Colleague’s Dilemma | Transcript.